Officials strive toward fully wireless campus

Wednesday, June 4

More than ten buildings on the Foggy Bottom campus will be become wireless hotspots by the end of August as part of the continuing GWireless project to make the entire campus wireless, the University announced last week.

By the fall semester, the University expects academic and mixed-use buildings like the Marvin Center, the Academic Center, the Media and Public Affairs Building, Funger Hall, Duques Hall and Tompkins Hall to be wireless. It also anticipates wireless in residence halls including 1959 E Street, Thurston Hall, Fulbright Hall, Townhouse Row and the Hall on Viriginia Avenue.

About 400 wireless access points are already in place, but more must still be added across campus to make the University completely wireless in two years, said University spokesperson Rachel Blevins.

“The (completed) expansion more than quadruples the current number of existing WAPs,” Blevins said.

The expansion will help to improve the campus’ wireless communication security by tracking and stopping unapproved student wireless netorks, according to a news release. Converting to a standard wireless network will also help Information Systems & Services manage their equipment more effectively, ISS officials said.

The Mount Vernon and Virginia campuses have offered wireless access since 2007. Gelman Library served as the pilot building for the initiative when it went completely wireless in 2007.