GW to centralize wireless networks this summer
By Hannah Marr, Assistant News Editor • April 25, 2024
GW to renovate Pelham Commons this summer
By Barry Yao, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024

Letter to the Editor

Why I’m not giving a senior gift

I understand the importance of alumni support, but I feel like the constant pressure to donate before we’ve even graduated is inappropriate.

While I’m overall pleased with my educational experience here at GW, I don’t think I need to give a gift at this time, and quite frankly, I’m annoyed by the numerous solicitations. I do think it’s noble to give money to educational institutes, but can’t we wait until after the ink has dried from our annual $50,000 checks, until student loans have been repaid and we’ve had the opportunity to reap the benefits of our education?

From my point of view, you give a gift to thank someone for value way beyond what you paid. Some aspects of GW have been frustrating on many levels. The problems with housing, Colonial Cash, advising, study abroad, transferring in and the mail system, to name a few, have been well-documented by The Hatchet and others. I don’t think we should reward the University for letting these problems persist by forking over more cash.

The argument that we should “donate so we raise the school’s national ranking” is especially irritating. While it may be that donations are correlated with school quality, you cannot possibly fool me into believing that money alone will solve every problem. If GW wants to be included among the nation’s top schools, it should improve its programs and the overall experience. GW should spend the money it already receives in a more efficient manner, rather than pester me for the entirety of my senior year.

The Alumni Association will have a lifetime of opportunities to ask me for money. Give me some peace while I’m still a broke student.

Bob Martin, Alumnus