Two dismissed from men’s basketball

Freshman Miles Beatty and junior Cheyenne Moore, two scholarship athletes, have been dismissed from the men’s basketball team, the athletic department announced last week.

Head coach Karl Hobbs had previously suspended Beatty for violating a team rule, and the guard sat out the final seven games of the year.

“Certain expectations are placed on our players both on and off the court,” Hobbs said in a news release. “They did not meet those expectations. Both Cheyenne and Miles were given every opportunity to succeed here at GW. I wish them both the very best in the future.”

The athletic department did not elaborate further on the announcement, but Moore told The Hatchet last week that he thought the dismissal was fueled by a personal conflict.

“I did everything I was supposed to – I feel – off the court, so the decision was made based off of Coach Hobbs and how he felt towards me personally, I feel,” Moore said, adding that he met “every expectation that I was supposed to as a student-athlete.”

The small forward said he was surprised when Hobbs told him of his dismissal several weeks ago.

“I was so shocked I couldn’t say anything because I was mad and hurt at the same time,” Moore said. “When I tried to meet with (Hobbs) after that, he kept giving me the runaround and wouldn’t meet with me.”

Hobbs would not comment on Moore’s statement, Director of Sports Information Brad Bower said. Chandra Bierwirth, assistant athletic director in charge of compliance, said a coach can dismiss a player for any reason.

Moore also said he felt the language of the press release portrayed him in a negative light.

“I want everyone to know both sides of the story. They just have one side and it makes me look like a real bad guy right now, and that’s not the case. Anyone who knows me knows that’s not me,” he said, adding that he and Hobbs “never really had a great relationship.”

Beatty has not registered for classes next year, the registrar’s office said two weeks ago. Bob Hurley, Beatty’s high school coach, said the freshman intends to transfer to another school, likely a junior college. He was unsure of the exact reason for Beatty’s departure, but said there was “a separation that occurred in the second semester.”

Moore, a transfer from Clemson University, spent part of his sophomore season battling an injury to his left tibia. Last year, the forward averaged 5.6 points and 2.2 rebounds per game. Moore is registered for classes in fall 2008, and said he plans to graduate from GW.

Wednesday’s announcement marks the third player to be dismissed this year, following the departure of Maureece Rice in March. The senior shooting guard broke team rules, according to a news release.

Nine players since spring 2004 have left the team prior to graduation, but until this year it was mostly due to transfers. Sports Information Director Brad Bower would not further comment on last week’s announcement, but said that the number of players leaving the team in recent years was not uncommon compared to other schools.

Without Beatty and Moore, the Colonials will have room for all four of their incoming recruits next season. GW has signed Tony Taylor, Matt Allbritton, Aaron War, and Dwayne Smith for the 2008-2009 season.