Basketball Notebook

Men’s Basketball:

The GW men’s basketball team has three non-conference games and a tournament appearance lined up for the 2008-2009 season, Director of Athletics Jack Kvancz said last week. The Colonials will play Boston University, Maryland-Baltimore County and American, and will participate in the University of Hawaii’s Rainbow Classic in late December. GW also has a contract with Providence College for a game next season, but Kvancz was unsure whether the deal would be honored.

Women’s Basketball:

GW women’s basketball head coach Joe McKeown will be an assistant coach for the United States U-18 team at the FIBA Americas Championships for women this summer. The event will take place in Argentina, beginning July 23.

The women’s team will continue its traditionally difficult non-conference schedule next season. McKeown said the team has solidified match-ups with the University of Tennessee, Rutgers University, Texas A&M, Kentucky, Western Kentucky, Villanova and Auburn. Each of those squads made either the NCAA Tournament or National Invitational Tournament last year.

GW assistant coach Tajama (Abraham) Ngongba has accepted the head coaching position at Radford University, Radford Director of Athletics Robert Lineburg announced Wednesday. Radford finished the 2007-2008 season with a 23-12 record – the second-most wins in program history – and made it to the final game of the Big South Championship.