Residents allowed back in Schenley

At about 2 a.m., most Schenley residents were allowed to return to their rooms. Students on the second floor–where the fire occurred–and rooms 101, 102, 301 and 302 were not allowed in at this time. After initially allowing residents into their rooms almost an hour earlier, the fire alarm went off again due to a malfunction, forcing another evacuation.

As Matt Trainum, director of housing, told a crowd of students waiting outside, “They are continuing to work on the alarm … I cannot guarantee it won’t go off again,” the alarm activated again.

The alarm went off a third time before officers fixed the problem and allowed students back in– an announcement met by cheers and applause.

The Hatchet has disabled comments on our website. Learn more.