Students, organizations and staff members win honors at Excellence Awards

Web Extra

Multicultural student groups won some of the highest awards at the 23rd annual Student Activities Center Excellence Awards Wednesday night at Lisner Auditorium.

The Pyramid Award, for best student organization of the year, was presented to the Black Student Union, the Asian Student Union and EMeRG. BSU President Charles Basden said it was the first time the organization had won the award in the event’s 23-year history. They also won the Multicultural Student Services Center Excellence in Diversity Award, along with Global Languages.

“To win not only one but two, shows the level of involvement of our organization,” Basden wrote in an e-mail. “Coming up through the ranks as black man liaison and now as co-president, it’s a pleasure to be part of building process – making efforts in terms of programming for example making the black heritage celebration more inclusive. Placing us in the main stream of student life here at GW.”

Individual students received awards too.

Seniors Daniel November, Fade Adetosoye and Jacqueline Hackett, along with junior Gabe Lade received the Baer Award for Individual Excellence for displaying “excellence, integrity, and commitment as members of the GW community.”

November said he won this award because of his work on Class Council.

“(My focus this year was to) lay a good ground work for Class Council and to focus on improving student life through collaboration between the two,” November said. “Class unity made a presence on campus this year making the community more socially integrated.”

Jacqueline Hackett, a senior who also won the Greek Woman award, is a member of Alpha Delta Pi Sorority, president of the Human Services Organization and a member of the Order of Omega. Hackett said she was honored to receive the recognition and said it is possible for anyone to win an award in student excellence.

“Get as involved as you can and meet as many people as possible so that you can make you experience here fun.” she said.

Overall, the University presented 39 students, student organizations and staff members with awards for their work on campus.