Staff Editorial: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

The Hatchet’s year-end wrap-up of GW’s ups and downs.

Thumbs Down: Dining woes continue

Another year, another dining disaster. Despite high hopes for Sodexho and J Street changes, mandatory spending for freshmen and sophomores has tainted campus dining this year. Late developments allowing mandatory funds to roll over are welcomed, but the University and Sodexho must do more to accommodate student wishes.

Thumbs Up: Brand and Nicole

Congratulations to SA President Nicole Capp and Executive Vice President Brand Kroeger for leading the first executive in recent years that has achieved significant changes on behalf of students. We hope that SA President-elect Vishal Aswani and EVP-elect Kyle Boyer can continue to make the SA a body students look toward for solutions.

Thumbs Sideways: Basketball

Again, the women’s team has been a point of pride for the GW community. Congratulations as well to Coach Joe McKeown, who earned his 500th win this season. Unfortunately, the men’s side only managed nine wins and failed to make the conference tournament. After making three NCAA Tournaments in a row, this year’s underachievement is horrendous.

Thumbs Down: Study abroad problems remain

The study abroad process is still as convoluted as ever, and with recent attacks on the ‘home tuition’ policy, it is past time for the Study Abroad Office and its policies to be examined. With ever-increasing numbers of students studying abroad, the University needs to invest enough resources so that the office can offer better customer service.

Thumbs Sideways: Lingering academic issues being revised

The Columbian College has finally decided to take a hard look at General Curriculum Requirements and advising. While we appreciate the long-overdue initiative, a solution needs to be found as soon as possible. The current policies are hindering rather than helping students.

Thumbs Up: Knapp’s first year

In his first year, University President Steven Knapp has shown that he recognizes the most important issues at GW. In tackling campus safety, environmental sustainability, affordability and other crucial concerns, Knapp has set the foundation for long-term improvements. However, we hope that in the future Knapp will be more visible to students in informal settings and become more of a campus presence.

Thumbs Up: Finally getting rid of Ceasar and Jake

Thank GOD. Five years and four years, respectively, is far too long to be stuck with these two schmucks. Thanks for finally getting out of here. And thanks to all the departing seniors for everything you’ve done. But don’t think we’ll miss you for a hot second. Enjoy the real world.