Greek Brief: Pi Kappa Alpha raises thousands for firefighter foundation

Food, games, dancing and skits marked fraternity Pi Kappa Alpha’s fourth annual Fireman’s Challenge competition this week between sororities, aptly named for its philanthropic goals to raise money for the D.C. Firefighter’s Burn Foundation.

The Delta Gamma sorority took home top honors at the competition and helped Pike raise more than $9,000, surpassing last year’s totals. The challenge is one of the most highly anticipated events on campus for the Greek-letter community and D.C. at large, said sophomore Daniel Huey, Pike’s public relations chair.

“The Burn Foundation is really integrated in the D.C. community,” Huey said. “It’s a reputable foundation, and the firefighters love it and appreciate that other people care about (the Burn Foundation).”

The Burn Foundation, which helps with the recovery and rehabilitation of firefighters and burn patients who have suffered injuries, will receive all of the Pike Fireman’s Challenge profits.

Pike worked to incorporate local firemen in the event. In “Feed the Firefighters,” which mimicked Food Network’s “Iron Chef,” sororities drew an ingredient out of a hat and then made a dish incorporating the secret ingredient. A panel of five D.C. firefighters then judged each dish and chose Alpha Phi as the winner.

Other events included a “Pike Spike” volleyball tournament, a “Pike Party” skit night and a field day – the grand finale held in University Yard Saturday. In an all-day series of outdoor activities, field day activities incorporated firefighter equipment such as hoses, rope and air tanks. Several Pike members were matched up to each sorority and competed in events alongside them.

Pike President Brendan Boerbaitz, a junior, was proud of the impressive turnout at all the events.

He said, “Fireman’s Challenge has been a huge success this year. Pike wants to thank the GW community and sororities for supporting such a worthy cause.”