Softball drops doubleheader against Terrapins

COLLEGE PARK, Md. — The 16-point margin that separated the GW softball team and its opponent, Maryland, in the second game of Wednesday afternoon’s doubleheader was anything but sweet for the Colonials.

After all, GW lost the 17-1 game after losing the first contest 3-0 at Robert E. Taylor Stadium.

“We weren’t sharp,” coach Kim Staehle said. “We were just kind of waiting for them to do something (when) we need to be a little bit more proactive.”

The Colonials were able to hold off the Terrapins until the fourth inning of the first game, when they gave up two runs. The second game took a dismal turn as the Terps recorded six runs on eight hits.

“We had opportunities and it’s just unfortunate that we weren’t able to capitalize on them,” junior Tori Sensi said.

The game marked the highest run total for the Terps (34-15) in a single game since 1998.

Senior starting pitcher Katie Miller was replaced by sophomore Amanda Gabriel after the initial six runs in the first inning. Gabriel closed out the frame without giving up another run, but the damage was done, and it didn’t get any better.

Freshman Ali Pardo pitched the rest of the game, giving up two runs in the second inning and eight runs in the third.

But the Colonials (8-25) were not without their chances, especially in the first game. The bases were loaded twice, but they were unable to turn the opportunity into runs. The lone run of the evening for GW was a home run hit in the second game by redshirt sophomore Elisa Van Kirk, her sixth of the season and seventh of her career.

“It was good to hit a home run,” Van Kirk said. “I just wish I could have done more.”

But GW was simply outplayed.

“We’ve been faltering because we haven’t been able to be consistent the second game, and against a team like these guys,” Staehle said. “I mean they hit the ball well today, they threw the ball well today they played defense well today, and that catches up.”

Like last week’s game against Charlotte, the Colonials relied on individual hitters to put them on the scoreboard, and were unable to close on consecutive hits.

But Staehle says she remains positive about the season.

“We’re still plugging along. We could have a tremendously successful weekend and we’re right back in conference,” Staehle said, referring to games against Temple and St. Joe’s. “Hopefully that’s what we’re going to do this weekend.We’re going to go up to Philly, we’re going to play some ballgames, and maybe we’ll be talking celebrations.”