Lacrosse loses to Denver

On Senior Day, the GW lacrosse team dropped the ball.

The Colonials fell to the University of Denver 13-9 at the Mount Vernon Athletic Complex Sunday afternoon. It was the squad’s fifth straight loss and final non-conference game.

GW led in shots, ground balls and draw controls (the latter of which coach Tara Hannaford said she was most proud). However, in critical areas, the Pioneers outmatched the Colonials. Denver’s goalies had 13 saves to senior Caitlin Garmen’s four. And Denver, of course, outscored GW. Garmen was ranked seventh in the nation for total saves last week.

“It’s the first time all season I think that we’ve controlled draw controls. We had a few mistakes that I’d like to take back, but overall I told these guys we were proud of them and how they went out and fought,” Hannaford said. “We’d like to have the (win), but we’ll take what we get.”

Like in many close games this season, the Colonials could not take control in the second half when the contest was close.

“We have to fight in the second part of the second half a lot of times, but we’ve also led a lot of games,” Hannaford said. “I don’t think we’ve consistently come out slow, but I think we have had little lapses that we can’t afford to have.”

Despite senior Lindsay Melvin’s first of three goals less than one minute into the game, Denver pulled ahead, scoring seven goals in the next 20 minutes. Senior Kristen Karcsh and sophomore Mia Breheny scored one goal each to end the period down 7-3.

It seemed in the second half that GW had a chance to tie up the score. Freshman Audrey Joy and Karcsh brought the Colonials (3-11) to within two tallies of the Pioneers, but were unable to score again. In the final 20 seconds of the game, the Pioneers scored two more goals to put an end to the fight.

“I think we fought really hard, but we just couldn’t finish our shots,” said Melvin, who contributed two goals in the second half. “But we played hard the whole time, and I’m really proud.”

Eight of the team’s eleven losses this season have been within three points. Four have been one-point losses. The three wins have all had a more decisive range.

“It’s tough to lose every game by two or one, but I’d rather have that than a blowout,” Hannaford said. “We just have to push over the edge and the girls have to get confident that we’re going to win.”

The Colonials host Richmond Wednesday afternoon in their home finale. Hannaford said the team needs to remember to play a full-field game.

“I think we’re a pretty good, solid one-on-one (defensively),” Hannaford said. “Our attack is able to get a lot of shots off. But our weakness is not always seeing the whole field.”