Blind Date: Not the right type

Sophomore Carly Donnelly and junior Jeffrey DeSousa enjoyed a friendly Thursday evening at Luigi’s Restaurant. Friendly was as good as it got though, and not even the stems of roses that Jeffrey gave to Carly could save him from
plutonic purgatory.

Date Bios

Carly Donnelly
Year: Sophomore
Age: 19
Hometown: Baltimore, Md.

Name: Jeffrey DeSousa

Year: Junior
Age: 20
Hometown: Bridgewater, Mass.

What is your ideal first date?

Carly: My ideal first date is some sort of meal and a good conversation.

Jeffrey: Something fun but laid back, like getting ice cream and walking around D.C.

What do you look for in a person?

Carly: A solid sense of humor, some sort of passion or goal, and intelligence, as well as honesty and openness.

Jeffrey: Confidence is important – I feel like it’s foundational for a relationship. Also, well roundedness, athletic, smart, cute and funny.

What are your own interests?

Carly: My favorite thing to do is dance.

Jeffrey: I’m glad that it is getting warm outside because I really enjoy cycling, squash and being outdoors.

Carly

I am single and have been since I started GW. I am pretty much open to anything, so I thought going on a blind date would be a good idea.
At Luigi’s, I ordered gnocchi because I was familiar with it.

My favorite part of the date was when he paid for roses. Luigi’s gives out roses and he knew about it. I thought it was adorable.

My first impression of him was that he was cute and dressed very well – he was not your typical GW guy, and I was taken aback.

It went very well for being a naturally awkward situation. If I were to do it again, I doubt that I would get someone as conversational as he was. We talked about school, interests, family, religion and jobs. The conversation kept going and going, and we had an OK time.

I would give the date an A-.

Jeffrey

I have been to Luigi’s before, so I had my favorite dish of chicken marsala.

Carly and I had never met before and it was my first time on a blind date. I thought she was really friendly and outgoing . We had some good conversation and the food was good. Overall, it was nice, and we had a good time. I thought we had a lot in common and she was really easy to talk to, which I liked.

I probably would not go on, like, another, “date-date,” but I want to hang out with her again. She is a great girl, but probably not my type – not that I know what my type is.

I would give the date an A-.

“GW Blind Date” is a regular feature in the Life section modeled after Washington Post Magazine’s Date Lab. If you would like to be set up on a blind date with another GW student, e-mail <a href="[email protected][email protected].