Greek Brief: Delta Gamma’s Anchor Bowl raised $11,000 for the blind

The Delta Gamma sorority hosted its annual Anchor Bowl philanthropy event last week and raised more than $11,000 for a non-profit that provides aid to the visually impaired.

The weeklong competition kicked off with three days of penny wars where anyone could support the fraternity of their choice by dropping spare change into buckets. Freshman Courtney Cantor, director of public relations for Delta Gamma, said the fraternity Sigma Phi Epsilon was the largest contributor.

“Anchor Bowl is so popular because it gives a chance for fraternities to compete against each other for a good cause,” Cantor said. “The intensity and competitive nature of this event is what makes people want to be involved in Anchor Bowl.”

One of the week’s most popular events is the Anchor Man talent competition – part of Friday night’s Skit Night – where each fraternity competes and is assigned a team captain from Delta Gamma. This year, Delta Gamma crowned Vasilios Polymeropoulos, a sophomore and member of the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity, the event’s winner.

Rounding out the week of events, the sorority held its annual fraternity football tournament, which took place Saturday on the National Mall. The outcome of this year’s tournament was close.

“During the championship round, Phi Psi was ahead of (Pi Kappa Alpha) by five points and in the last second, (Pi Kappa Alpha) scored the winning touchdown,” Cantor said.

Sigma Phi Epsilon walked away as the overall winner of Anchor Bowl by raising the largest sum of money for Service for Sight, the sorority’s national philanthropy.