Varsity Roundup

Women’s basketball

Senior Kim Beck was named a Women’s Basketball Coaches Association’s honorable mention All-American. Classmate Sarah-Jo Lawrence was named to the Lowe’s Senior CLASS Award All-America Second Team, which recognizes excellence on both the court and in the classroom. Both players were invited to work out for WNBA teams this weekend in Tampa, Fla.

Lacrosse

GW lacrosse dropped two games over the weekend, a 15-14 loss at Duquesne and an 11-9 defeat at St. Bonaventure. Junior Katherine Sampson had a hat trick against the Bonnies but St. Bonaventure took a four-goal lead in the second half that the Colonials (3-9, 1-3 A-10) could not overcome. It is GW’s seventh loss this season by three goals or less. The squad next faces Temple April 11 to begin a three-game home stand.

Baseball

The Colonials dropped two of three contests to Massachusetts at Barcroft Park in Arlington, Va. GW took Friday’s game, 5-0, before losing 6-3 Saturday and 4-0 Sunday. Junior Pat Lehman struck out eight batters but could not get run support in the final game. The Colonials (16-13, 5-4 A-10) host George Mason Tuesday.

Men’s tennis

The men’s tennis team lost to Xavier, 4-0, in the Atlantic 10 Championships Sunday afternoon in Monroeville, Pa. The top-seeded Colonials defeated Rhode Island 4-0 and St. Bonaventure 4-1 to reach the final. It is the third time in the past eight years the Colonials were runners up in the event.

Women’s tennis

The Colonials lost to Massachusetts 6-1 Friday afternoon at Temple’s home courts in Philadelphia. Sophomore Verena Knoedler earned GW’s only point of the match, in the No. 4 singles spot. The Colonials (5-10, 0-3 A-10) next host James Madison April 12.

Golf

The golf squad finished fourth out of nine teams at the Notre Dame Irish Invitation in South Bend, Ind. Sophomore Cole Turner was the team’s low scorer, finishing at even par with two rounds of 70, good third place. The event’s winners, Notre Dame’s Eddie Peckels and Northwestern’s David Lipsky, each shot one-under par.