Greek Brief: Greek fee increase draws concerns from fraternity members

This semester’s $2 per-fraternity member increase in Inter-Fraternity Council dues has left many fraternity members angry at and confused with the IFC.

The IFC, a fraternity governing body, said a $5 fee is necessary for them to continue supporting IFC fraternities. Last year dues were only $3 per fraternity member, and two years ago the dues were also $5.

“The IFC is expanding as new chapters are coming onto campus and is looking into new programming events, especially for the upcoming 150th Anniversary of Greek life,” said junior Bob Kickish, president of IFC.

He added that dues paid per fraternity member go toward major Greek-letter life events such as Greek Week, Greek Awards, recruitment and various other Greek-letter activities.

Kickish said the Student Association also gives money to the IFC, but these funds go toward event co-sponsorships and subsidization of other events.

A document obtained by The Hatchet shows that as of Feb. 20, the IFC still had $7,267.69 remaining of its allotted $10,000 from the SA. Despite the large remaining sum, two-thirds of GW’s fraternity presidents voted in favor of raising the dues.

“(The presidents) realized the return to $5 dues is an important and necessary step that (the IFC) must take,” Kickish said.

Some are arguing that this financial increase is unnecessary.

“It is my opinion that the IFC is overcharging fraternities by quite a bit and putting a financial strain upon us for seemingly no reason,” said Ethan Elser, treasurer of Sigma Chi. “They are supposed to be helping fraternities with large fundraisers, yet they rarely do and if they do it is for little money.”

Junior Rob Lockwood, president of Phi Kappa Psi, disagrees and said the claims of irresponsibility are completely erroneous.

“This IFC is very competent, responsible and hard working,” he said. “A majority of the fraternities voted to enhance the budget, after they were given ample amount of time to review the document, listen to the IFC governing board’s request and analyzed it for ourselves.”