Target opens in Columbia Heights

In past years, families of GW students often traveled to Virginia to shop at Target and pick up last-minute dorm room essentials on move-in day. Now, shoppers won’t have to leave the District.

Target opened its first location ever in D.C. last month in Columbia Heights.

The new location is part of a $145 million retail complex in Northwest D.C. that also features Marshalls, Best Buy, Bed Bath and Beyond and Washington Sports Club.

Jana O’Leary, a spokesperson for Target Stores, said college students are one of the store’s major customer demographics.

“I would say that college students are one core guest segments for us,” O’Leary said.

The store uses various methods to tailor their advertisement to college students, including publishing a catalogue, advertising through popular Web sites and television and holding special events.

Target has merchandise ranging from mousetraps to clothing to some of the newest technology on the market.

The store has also been a boost to the city’s economy. Derriene Butler, a guest service team leader, said the store has created 420 new jobs, and about 40 are still available.

Marina Iraheta, who grew up in the area and is currently attending Devry University, said the store is very convenient for the community. Target also did a great job promoting the opening, she added.

While word is still spreading on GW’s campus, some students said they are excited about having a store in a Metro-accessible location.

Sophomore Jonathan Miller said the convenience makes it a lot more accessible than locations in Virginia.

He said, “I went to a Target once last year, and my friend had to rent a Zipcar and it was really annoying, so this will be easier.”