First alternative Greek Week raises $140 for MS charity

The professional, honors and service Greek-letter fraternities have raised about $140 dollars in their penny war competition, an event held as part of the first annual Alternative Greek Week.

The weeklong event began last Saturday and ends April 5 with a multiple sclerosis charity walk, an awards luncheon and an announcement of all the events’ winners at the Spring Fling concert.

Five competitive activities, which the organizations have been planning for nearly six weeks, have already taken place. These events include a “mini-Olympics,” an “Amazing Race,” a “World Cup” tournament, and a “Where in the World” quiz game. So far, Delta Phi Epsilon, Epsilon Sigma Alpha and Alpha Phi Omega have each taken home victories in the events.

Kira Peterson, a member of the Alpha Phi Omega fraternity and one of the week’s coordinators, said that besides raising money and “having a really good time,” Alternative Greek Week is an attempt to “create unity and cooperation” among the PHS fraternities.

Although the week’s competitors are only PHS members, “spectators are welcome to come and watch,” Peterson said.

Jen Carter, an event coordinator and member of Phi Sigma Pi, agreed that the week gives the “non-social Greek organizations” a chance to interact.

“We have also fostered some healthy competition among the orgs and had a really great time. I think we’ve definitely accomplished our goals of raising awareness of non-social Greek orgs on and off campus, formed some great bonds between the groups and are having a lot of fun while raising some money for charity,” Carter said.

Chris Diaz, president of Phi Sigma Pi and the primary coordinator of Alternative Greek Week, said although this is the first year they have held the event, “the attendance and enthusiasm of all the fraternities and sororities involved has been phenomenal.”

Diaz said the PHS council hopes to make Alternative Greek Week an annual tradition, expand its number of participants and work with the Interfraternity Council, the Panhellenic Association and the Multicultural Greek Council to organize one school-wide Greek Week to celebrate diversity in greek-letter life at GW.

Other Alternative Greek Week events planned for this week include a “World Tour” Rock Band video game competition, a “Night out on the Town” club night and an multiple sclerosis walk.