Crime Log

Attempted Fraud

3/28/08 – NIH Federal Credit Union – 8:35 a.m. – case closed

An unidentified male individual attempted to cash four checks from an allegedly false company for more than $500,000. The teller informed the subject that the checks could not be cashed without verification. The subject then became erratic in his behavior, and the teller pressed a silent alarm alerting police. The University Police Department and Metropolitan Police Department responded to the scene, but the individual had already left.
Referred to MPD

Attempted Theft

3/28/08 – public property on campus – 3:30 a.m. – case closed

UPD officers on patrol observed a male individual tampering with a bike locked to a parking meter. The officers stopped the subject, who claimed he was given permission by the bike’s owner to take it. He could not identify the person to the officers.
Subject barred from campus

Disorderly Conduct

3/28/08 – 1957 E Street – 7:28 p.m. – case closed

A male individual at a Karl Rove speech became verbally disruptive during the event. UPD patrolling the event responded and removed the individual, who was not affiliated with GW.
Subject barred from campus

3/30/08 – 800 block of 21st Street – 1:40 a.m. – case closed

A UPD officer on patrol observed a male GW student urinating outside. The officer stopped the individual and warned him that urinating in public is a violation of the law.
Referred to Student Judicial Services

Liquor Law Violation

3/29/08 – Guthridge Hall – 2:15 a.m. – case closed

UPD officers responded to a complaint of loud noise coming from a room in the residence hall. When officers arrived they observed a large party in progress with a beer pong table set up in the room. Twenty-nine people were present, including six individuals unaffiliated with GW. The 23 other students were all underage. The alcohol was disposed of at the scene, and the individuals not affiliated with the University were barred from campus.
Subjects barred from campus

3/30/08 – Kogan Plaza – 1:30 a.m. – case closed

UPD officers on patrol observed a female individual who appeared to be intoxicated. When they approached the subject, she apologized and claimed that she was just “playing around” and acting like she was drunk. The officers determined that the student had in fact been drinking and was underage.
Referred to SJS

3/30/08 – Marvin Center – 1:57 a.m. – case closed

UPD officers observed two individuals together in Marvin Center, one of whom was drinking out of a flask. The officers approached the male subject and confiscated the flask. The individual was of age and unaffiliated with GW but was with a GW student. Officers emptied the contents of the flask and returned it to the subject.
Referred to SJS

3/30/08 – Medical Faculty Associates building – 3:55 a.m. – case closed

UPD officers responded to a report of a male individual in the lobby of the building drinking a beer. Officers disposed of the alcohol at the scene, and the unaffiliated individual was escorted from the building.
Subject barred from campus

Simple Assault

3/28/08 – University Parking Garage – 3:30 p.m. – case closed

A GW parking employee reported an assault to UPD. The complainant told officers that she called her supervisor so she could help a male individual trying to exit the garage. She gave the phone to the subject so he could speak with the supervisor, and he allegedly threw the phone at her when he was done talking, injuring her hand. The complainant did not press charges and the supervisor is handling the matter.