Softball drops two games

At times it seemed two very different GW softball teams challenged Georgetown at Guy Mason Field Wednesday.

In the two teams’ first matchup in two years, the Colonials’ performance switched dramatically each inning. Although GW lost both games in the double-header, they fell by only one run in each game. Defensively, GW managed to hold off the Hoyas in the first game after a dismal first inning, but seemed to fall apart in the second game.

The Colonials were down 3-4 going into the third inning, but emerged into the fourth leading 5-4.

Egregious fielding errors in the sixth inning were eclipsed when senior Chrysanthi Halkiotis dove through the back fence, knocking it over, to score what would have been a home run, ending the inning and a three-run streak by the Hoyas.

“I don’t think you ever say you like to lose, but I thought we played fairly well,” GW coach Kim Staehle said.

This sentiment reflects the team’s knack for the comeback even when they don’t win.

Despite a record of 5-12, the Colonials are in the top 10 nationally for home runs per game and slugging percentage, and in the top 20 for batting average and doubles per game. Senior Katie Miller ranks 41st, and sophomores Elisa Van Kirk and Amanda Gabriel are 15th in the nation for home runs per game.

And while the Colonials looked hopeless going into the final inning trailing 6-10, a grand slam by Halkiotis – her second of the season – tied the teams for the second time in the game.

“It feels great. It feels great to be able to, with one swing, put our team back into a winning situation,” Halkiotis said. “We’re just a half a step away from making a loss into a win, so whatever it is, we’re going to work it out at practice and correct it for our (Atlantic 10) game this weekend.”

The doubleheader also marked the first match-up between Staehle and her best friend, former teammate and former colleague, Hoyas coach Pat Conlan. Staehle was a former Georgetown assistant coach, but her strategies have changed with her teams.

“I think Pat and I are very different in regards to our approach to the game. She’s more of the defensive-pitcher minded, and I’m more of the offensive minded,” Staehle said. “However, I think some of our core values are the same: to hustle at all times, to make defensive plays, to look sharp, and play with a lot of intensity.”

Staehle is tweaking the defensive game, alternating Miller and freshman Ali Pardo in for first pitching option Amanda Gabriel.

“I thought they both threw some solid innings for us, and that’s something we’ve been asking them to do,” Staehle said.

With all the elements in place, the team was only one point away from a win twice.

Pardo said, “As a team we just need to be able to bear down and win that last inning and find a way to win the games.”