Capp adds green initiative position to SA executive

The Student Association senate approved the addition of a director of green initiatives to the SA executive on Tuesday night at Marvin Center.

SA President Nicole Capp created the green directorship this year, but did not make it a standing cabinet position. Similar to the director of green initiatives this year, the official green cabinet member will be responsible for maintaining connections with campus green groups and the SA executive.

“We need somebody to act as a liaison to the organizations such as Green GW and will be that voice for the SA executive regarding green initiatives,” said SA President-Elect Vishal Aswani.

SA Sen. Nick D’Addario (U-At Large), a senior, said this position in the SA executive cabinet has been a long time coming.

“I am fully in favor of this cabinet position,” D’Addario said. “It’s good to have more people involved in the greening process.”

Aswani, a junior, said he does not know who will fill the position yet, however SA Sen. Matt Cohen (SoB-U) said the cabinet member should have a knowledge of green issues.

The position will be open to all students, but an applicant with an understanding of green initiatives would be more desired, Aswani said.

“You need to have somebody who has an understanding of the Foggy Bottom Association relations (in order to be successful),” Aswani said. “We are really trying to open up this process to as many people as possible.”

Senior Maggie Desmond has been working this year as the director of green activities between green groups and the SA. She said it is important for this cabinet position to be made permanent in order to keep the conversation about green issues on campus going strong.

“I think if anything, this year we have made some really great strides at getting the conversation started (about green issues on campus),” Desmond said. “People are becoming more aware, and we are really priming ourselves to have a greater impact next year or even five to 10 years from now.”

The deadline to apply for this cabinet position, as well as the other cabinet positions, is April 1 at 5 p.m. A finalized cabinet will be released on April 8.