Aswani and Boyer hope to improve dining services

Improving dining services and building a stronger University community in Foggy Bottom will be the centerpiece of next year’s Student Association executive.

SA President-elect Vishal Aswani and Executive Vice President-elect Kyle Boyer did not run together on a slate, but both campaigned on extending hours at J Street and eliminating the food court’s mandatory spending requirements of $1,400 per year for freshmen and $500 per year for sophomores. Aswani said these goals are only at the beginning of his plans for GW’s main dining venue.

“J Street has short-term goals, like extending the hours to include weekends . but there are also the long term goals,” said Aswani, a junior. “(Long-term goals) focus on one day, whether it be one year, five years, even 10 years down the road to see a privatization or the end of the contract with Sodexho.”

Boyer also said his main priority is working out the issues currently plaguing the J Street venue.

“I think my number one priority will be improving dining and J Street issues on campus,” said Boyer, a sophomore. “Vishal and myself have both been vocal with our desires to see J Street privatized.”

The president-elect and EVP-elect said they also want to build a stronger sense of community on campus.

This was a key pillar in Aswani’s platform.

“The SA should lead a comprehensive effort aimed at making the campus a more attractive and inviting space that can strengthen the bond among students,” Aswani said in his platform. “Just because there is so much going on outside Foggy Bottom doesn’t mean we can’t create a stronger community on campus.”

In order to build that strong community, Aswani said he is going to create an online test bank, start a Web site for student organizations to find corporate sponsors for events and establish a Web portal for students to find tutoring.

All of this, Aswani said, will be advertised to students through e-mails and student organization listservs, as well as through house staff in the residence halls.

“We have upwards of 7 to 8,000 undergrads who live on campus, and house staff is their life,” Aswani said. “When you are in your room and you get an e-mail from your House Proctor, or you are walking in your hallway and you see a bulletin board, and on that bulletin board and you see a flyer to apply for the (SA executive) cabinet, there is a lot more weight and a lot more validity to it.”

Boyer, who was the SA assistant vice president for community affairs, worked this year to reduce Metro fares for university students in the District. He said he would continue to work on the project next year and elicit the support of University administrators to move forward.

“I will continue to oversee the Metro initiative, which is thankfully in a phase that requires less student activity and more administrator activity,” Boyer said.

Since securing their positions for next year, Aswani and Boyer have been working to form their cabinet for next year. Aswani said the cabinet will be finalized on April 8 after a series of interviews with prospective members.

Aswani became the SA president after winning the runoff election on March 13. He received 55 percent of the vote, beating out SA Sen. Kevin Kozlowski (U-at-Large), who garnered 45 percent.

Boyer won in the general election on February 28. He received 53 percent of the vote. Both Aswani and Boyer will be sworn in on May 1 at the SA transition luncheon.