SA Note: SA pushing to allow rollover of J Street money

Student Association officials are lobbying administrators and Sodexho to allow rollover of unused J Street dining money, SA President Nicole Capp said at Tuesday night’s senate meeting at Marvin Center.

Capp, Executive Vice President Brand Kroeger and the dining services commission met several times over the past four months and decided to actively advocate for a rollover policy that would ensure students do not lose money allocated for their mandatory J Street dining plans when this academic year ends. Freshmen and sophomores must spend $1,400 and $500 at J Street each year, respectively.

“Rollover is a top priority for students,” said Kroeger, a junior. “If leaders continue to advocate, we can be successful. We came in thinking that nothing is impossible and we have kept that mind set throughout the year.”

Capp, a junior, said the administration is willing to work with Sodexho and the SA in order to change the much-maligned policy.

“We have talked to the man at the corporate level of Sodexho to formalize a request for rollover,” Capp said. “We want to make sure everyone’s No. 1 priority is rollover.”

Francis Murray, SA director of dining and retail services, said the rollover is the commission’s most important issue.

“We obviously knew this was an issue since the beginning of school,” said Murray, a sophomore. “We’ve been discussing the issue with Sodexho and lobbying as hard as we can for students to get the rollover, because I think it’s really the largest issue that students are worried about, losing their money at the end of the year.”

Writing letters, attending meetings and voicing opinions is what Murray said students can do in order to help advocate that this change be made.

“I have been writing letters; we have been trying to get all of the senators to write letters of support as well,” Murray said. “The most important thing students can do is start sending me letters. The more letters I have in my hand, the more powerful we are.”

The dining services committee will meet again after spring break to discuss rollover spending and other dining concerns.