Greeks waltz with local elders

The Sigma Kappa sorority and the Kappa Sigma fraternity hosted their annual senior citizen “prom” for the residents of St. Mary’s Court, a Foggy Bottom building for senior citizens last Friday. This year’s “Night to Remember” theme marked the ninth prom the sorority and fraternity have hosted.

In traditional prom fashion, the partygoers crowned a prom king and queen. Other features of the event included a performance by the GW Vibes a cappella group, and a raffle and a poker table for those who were not interested in dancing.

Carol Ann Moccio, Sigma Kappa’s philanthropy chair, said the senior citizens anticipate their prom night every year, as do the sorority’s sisters.

“I know I speak on behalf of the sisters in saying that this has been one of the most rewarding and truly fun events of the year,” Moccio said. “Personally, I spoke with some pretty amazing residents – many spoke multiple languages and had doctorate degrees – but all of them had really wonderful stories and advice to share.”

One of the national philanthropy projects the sorority works on is gerontology, concentrating much of their efforts toward Alzheimer’s research. The sorority funds the event with money from its budget and with help from Kappa Sigma.

Kappa Sigma President Andrew Hunter said the amount of money spent on this event is less important than the goals the participants achieve.

“We are making such a positive influence in the community that it doesn’t matter the price,” Hunter said. “We do it until the job feels right.”

Hunter said he received many compliments from the senior residents that attended the prom, who noted that this was the first time they had seen young people doing something “good” together.

Hunter said he believes it is especially important to work with this group to prove that college students “aren’t just wild and crazy” and that the “strange relationship between GW and Foggy Bottom” can be overcome.