GW Brief: Students accept plea bargains on marijuana charges

Five students arrested on marijuana charges last month accepted plea bargains at a status hearing Friday.

Sophomores Chuong Nguyen and Xavier Van Meerbeek, who were initially charged with possession with intent to distribute marijuana, pled guilty Friday to possession of marijuana. The charges were dismissed for the other three individuals.

The students, one of whom is unaffiliated with the University, were arrested on Feb. 14 after police found 6.3 ounces of marijuana in a Fulbright Hall room. Omar Aena, a Rutgers University student, had allegedly traveled to the District to sell them seven ounces of marijuana valued at more than $2,000, according to court documents.

A community director who performed a search of the room found a digital scale, Ziploc bags, a notebook, a marijuana cigarette and a box with more bags, police reports state.

Sophomores Sam Yenigun, Eric Tilden and Aena were charged with possession of marijuana, but Judge Bruce Beaudin dismissed their charges Friday.

Both Nguyen and Van Meerbeek were sentenced to six months of supervised probation, 30 hours of community service and counseling. They will have all charges expunged from their criminal record under the Youth Rehabilitation Act, which clears the records of all defendants under the age of 22.