GW Brief: SA senator to stand trial for misdemeanor charges

A Student Association senator will stand trial for misdemeanor assault and weapons charges in April.

Senior Isabella Bacardi will stand trial April 14 on two misdemeanor charges that she allegedly hit a female patron on the head with a glass object at McFadden’s Saloon in October, according to court documents.

Police reports stated Bacardi pulled Alexandria, Va., resident Michelle Lindsay’s hair and struck her on the head after Lindsay attempted to intervene in a fight between two other girls. Lindsay was treated for minor head injuries at GW Hospital and released the next day.

Bacardi was originally arrested for assault with a deadly weapon, a felony, but the charges were later lowered to simple assault and possession of a prohibited weapon. Her attorney, James O’Dea, previously said he hoped to get the charges dismissed before the case went to trial. After Bacardi’s last status hearing, O’Dea said he had been speaking with witnesses and prosecutors, and was confident the charges would be dismissed.

O’Dea, who did not appear in court on Friday morning for health reasons, did not return phone calls from The Hatchet. Bacardi and her other attorney refused to comment on the case.

Bacardi was elected to the SA as an undergraduate senator from the School of Public Health in 2006.