Capp creates new standing committees in the SA executive

Web Extra

Student Association President Nicole Capp is working to establish two standing committees within the SA executive to look at campus safety and facilities.

The new committees – the SA Safety and Security Affairs Committee and the SA Facilities Advisory Committee – will attempt bring SA and GW administrators together to discuss issues of campus safety and facilities management.

The SA Safety and Security Affairs Committee has already begun meeting this year, Capp said. She said she wants to make it a standing committee that will carry on to the next school year because of its effectiveness so far.

“Committees offer a venue for direct discussion and interaction between students and administrators,” Capp said. “Results develop quickly if all parties are dedicated and accountable.”

University President Steven Knapp formed the GW Safety and Security Advisory Committee after reviewing reports from his presidential task force on campus security in February. University Police Department Chief Dolores Stafford chairs the committee and looks toward different University departments and the SA for recommendations on aspects of campus life that are unsafe.

Capp said the SA Safety and Security Affairs Committee will report to Stafford. The SA president said the SA will also help organize safety walks in conjunction with GW Safety and Security Advisory Committee in order to assess safety issues on campus.

The committee held a safety walk around campus Monday. Stafford said the walks, which used to happen at GW, were revived after meeting with the GW Security and Safety Advisory Committee.

“We didn’t do it for the last few years, but we revived it again this year based on conversations in the Security and Safety Advisory Committee meeting,” Stafford said. “It is important for members of the SA to gather feedback from students and then tour the campus with administrators to look together at the areas of concern.”

James Schrote, director of Facilities Management, will chair the Facilities Advisory Committee with Capp. This committee will meet at least twice a semester and bring together Residential Properties Management, Facilities Management, the SA, the Residence Hall Association, green group representatives and project management to discuss issues students have with GW facilities, Capp said.

“GW Facilities is excited and enthusiastic about the establishment of the Facilities Advisory Committee by the Student Association,” said Nancy Haaga, managing director of campus support services, who oversees Facilities Management. “The committee will operate in much the same fashion as the current Dining Services Advisory Committee of the Student Association.”

She added, “Facilities hopes to gain a better understanding of the needs of its customers through frequent dialogue. This will enable facilities to plan and respond more effectively.”

Both of the new SA executive committees will go before the senate for approval at the body’s next meeting.