Signing the off-campus lease

Web Extra

The transition from dorm room life to off-campus housing can come with a laundry list of obstacles including installing cable television, buying furniture and paying bills. But signing a lease can throw a wrench in the process before you can deck your new stop the process before anything else.

Local real estate agent Tare Ameh said that college students should not be intimidated about signing a lease. Ameh, who sells real estate with the Murphy Team in the Foggy Bottom and West End neighborhoods, said that landlords should not treat students differently. Ameh said students looking to rent apartments should be prepared to treat the property with respect.

Senior Amanda Rostowsky said that when she began the process to move off-campus she expected it to be a daunting task. Rostowsky, who now lives in The Winston House, said she was shocked how quickly the process progressed.

“My roommate and I came over the summer to look, found apartment in June and had to start paying in June,” she said.

Senior Sindy Levitt moved into an apartment in Columbia Plaza this summer and said that students looking to sign a lease for off-campus housing should start early.

“Be proactive and ask questions, the best apartments go first,” Levitt said.

Senior Dave Rosenbaum moved off-campus this summer into The York apartment building and said that students considering moving off-campus should think hard before making any decisions.

“Explore options don’t jump on the first apartment that comes available” Rosenbaum said.

Though Rosenbaum had little help when it came to signing a lease because his roommate was studying abroad, Rosenbaum said the move off-campus was worth the research because of the more mature living quarters and the helpful apartment management service.

“If something breaks it is fixed in an hour, no need to file 12 FixIt requests and have your parents call in to finally get something fixed,” Rosenbaum said. “I think its part of the law that it has to be fixed in 24 hours.”