Local DJ accuses GW of racism over scheduling of game

A popular D.C. hip hop radio host is criticizing the University for not accommodating several requests to hold a charity basketball game at Smith Center in June.

Big Tigger, a disc jockey on WPGC 95.5 FM, indicated to listeners Friday that the University was racist when it said the Smith Center was unavailable on several dates this summer due to floor maintenance, University spokesperson Tracy Schario said. Tigger, whose real name is Darian Morgan, is the creator of the annual “Celebrity Classic” charitable basketball game.

The event, now in its seventh year, was held at GW in 2004. It focuses on raising awareness for HIV/AIDS.

Schario said University President Steven Knapp had received more than 50 e-mails on the subject after Morgan told listeners to contact him. “The University considers it unfair, unwarranted, and wrong to be accused of declining the original request for any reason other than scheduling conflicts,” read a statement issued by the University Friday.

They sent the full statement in a blast e-mail to more than 20,000 members of the GW community.

The statement added that the Street Corner Foundation had declined several other dates the University offered, but Morgan denies this.

“Contrary to the published press release by the University, we have never received any alternative dates to hold our charity event in writing,” Morgan said. An e-mail chain provided to The Hatchet showed a conversation between GW athletic department and a staff member in D.C. Councilmember Kwame Brown’s office offering the group more dates.