GW Brief: Physics graduate student robbed at gunpoint by teens near Hughes Mews

A graduate student was robbed at gunpoint last Wednesday next to the GW Hospital on 24th Street, according to police reports.

Three males stopped a student near 24th and I streets in the area known as “Hughes Mews” at around 8:15 p.m. A police report states the men were about 18 years old.

As they approached Craig Pelissier, a 26-year-old physics student, one of the men drew a black handgun from his left breast pocket, according to the report. They demanded he “empty his pockets” and then asked if he had a laptop. Pelissier said he did not.

Two of the men then told Pelissier to put down his bag and walk away. He complied, and when he returned to the square to recover his bag, his credit cards and cell phone were missing, according to the report.

“Something like this happened six or seven months ago in the area, so it is not surprising that it happened to me,” Pellisier said.

Crime reports conducted by the Metropolitan Police Department show there have been three robberies reported in Foggy Bottom since the start of 2008, whereas there was only one in the early months of 2007.

Last November, the University Police Department temporarily increased the number of patrols around campus in response to a spike in armed robberies.