Women’s basketball wins big on the road at Richmond

RICHMOND, Feb. 27 – At four instances during the GW women’s basketball team’s game against Richmond Wednesday, it seemed as though there would be four different players leading the Colonials to victory.

In the first half, it was junior Jessica Adair’s smooth stride down low giving the Colonials the lead. After the break, it was senior Kim Beck’s three-pointers and crisp passes keeping GW ahead. It looked like multiple steals from senior Whitney Allen that turned into layups would be what kept the Colonials alive for good, but as soon as the Spiders threatened, a scoring spree from senior Sarah-Jo Lawrence put them down for good.

The No. 15 Colonials left Robins Center with a 75-59 victory Wednesday, after putting up one of their best team shooting efforts of the season.

“It’s really important to have veterans,” GW head coach Joe McKeown said after the game. “They struggle in the first half at times, (but players like Lawrence) come back and play really well in that stretch to open the game up,” he added, citing a 14-0 run the Colonials made in the second half to put the game away.

Lawrence led GW with 19 points, while Adair muscled home 17 points from the post. Allen added 11 points to go with 10 rebounds for a double-double.

Still, the Colonials were not without a few miscues. GW appeared fatally out of place on a few Spider possessions, and one even prompted McKeown to take off his jacket and whip out the trusty drawing board.

“We just had a few breakdowns in the first half,” McKeown said. “It’s something that we worked on in practice, but it’s just one of those things. We’ve been a great defensive team, so I can’t complain too much.”

At 23-5, (11-2 in the conference) McKeown said his team is right near where he expects it to be, and that he thinks GW is in a solid spot to attack the postseason.

“We’re pretty much in the same situation we were last year,” McKeown said. “To be ranked in the top 20 and be tied for first with one game left, it’s a great place to be. You want to win them all, but it just puts you in good position to make a run in March.”

With Dayton’s 68-58 victory over Xavier Wednesday and Temple’s 77-66 victory over Saint Louis, GW now sits at second place in the A-10 due to a head-to-head tiebreaker. The Owls have one game left this season, Saturday against Massachusetts.

GW’s last game of the regular-season will come Saturday at 2 p.m. at Smith Center against winless Fordham. The match-up will also be senior day – the last game at Smith Center for Beck, Lawrence, Allen and Lora Mitchell.