Win on senior day sends Fordam to 29th loss

Web Update

Saturday, March 1, 7:36 p.m.

The GW women’s basketball team celebrated Senior Day in victorious fashion, downing Fordham 66-27 Saturday to win a share of its seventh consecutive A-10 regular season championship.

The No. 15 Colonials (24-5, 12-2 A-10) did not put on its best performance, shooting just 37 percent from the field and at times appearing sloppy and disjointed on offense. Fordham (0-29, 0-16 A-10) failed to get much going on either end of the court en route to an NCAA-record 29th loss this season.

Senior Sarah-Jo Lawrence, who had four points and three rebounds while spending much of the game on the bench due to foul trouble, said the atmosphere of Senior Day made it feel somewhat different on the floor.

“Playing in a game like that was just weird, for lack of a better word,” Lawrence said. “We still came away with a victory and that’s what we’re looking for.”

Senior Lora Mitchell got the first start of her career, scoring her team’s first three points. Senior Whitney Allen notched her fourth double-double of the season with 12 points and 10 rebounds while classmate Kim Beck finished with 13 points.

“I’m just really proud to have had the opportunity to coach four young ladies like that,” head coach Joe McKeown said after the game. “I feel very fortunate.”

While it was the seniors being honored in their final game at Smith Center, junior Jazmine Adair had team-highs with 15 points and 12 rebounds. Sister Jessica Adair finished with eight points and 10 boards.