Students take cheesy chews for a good cause

Food vendors that come out late at night can only mean one thing for drunk, hungry partiers: trouble. But this month, students raising money to fund an international alternative spring break trip have found a way to take the guilt out of the grub.

The 19 students looking to raise $35,000 to fund their community service trip to Oaxaca, Mexico are finding that in addition to picking up babysitting jobs and selling Krispy Kremes, one easy way to raise money is to sell grilled cheese to students in their dorms from 10 p.m. to 3 a.m.

“Our customers are mostly kids on their way in after having a good night,” said Caitlin Cummin, a sophomore and international alternative spring break participant.

So far the group has raised almost $29,000 by doing things like raking leaves and holding student talent shows, in addition to selling grilled cheese.

On Thursday night the group staked out the lobby of Thurston and walked away with almost $200 from the profits of their grilled cheese sale. Despite the cash coming in from the grilled cheese sales, the students say they still have a long road ahead before Oaxaca.

“We’re a little behind schedule for our fundraisers because there is a lot of competition,” sophomore Chris Murphy said on Thursday as he vied to appeal to students’ stomachs over a bake sale that was taking place across the hallway. Murphy, though, remains optimistic.

“We’re not worried,” he said, “money is coming in all the time.”

In Oaxaca the students will build a new kindergarten and run a day camp, where they will be teaching English to the children. Last year the students on international alternative spring break built an extension to a school’s cafeteria in Belize City, Belize.

To fund their trip last year, students tried selling pancakes in the morning, although grilled cheese at night is proving more profitable. Senior Kim Steimer said that grilled cheese sales have probably done better because late night partiers like something to much on when they get home.

Junior Mandy Lall, a Thursday night passerby, said she would not be surprised by the profit international alternative spring break students can raise from the late night sale.

Lall said, “Grilled cheese is the kids’ staple when they’re partying so I think selling after they’ve been out is a really good idea.”