Clinton to visit Jack Morton to talk policy

Presidential candidate Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-N.Y.) will deliver a “major” speech about foreign policy in Jack Morton Auditorium Monday, according to a campaign news release issued Sunday evening.

Clinton will speak about “strengthening America” at noon in the School of Media and Public Affairs venue, according to the news release. She is also scheduled to attend a fundraising event in Lisner Auditorium at 6:30 p.m.

Both events will be broadcast live on a variety of television networks.

The University has at least 50 seats reserved, which have been made available to international affairs students and faculty in addition to GW’s chapter of Students for Hillary. There will also be a standby list.

University Spokesperson Tracy Schario said John “Skip” Williams, provost and vice president of health affairs, will deliver opening remarks in lieu of University President Steven Knapp – who is in Korea. Williams is the second-ranking member of the administration.

Knapp’s wife Diane will be part of a greeting committee which will meet the senator backstage when she arrives on campus.

Schario added she was unsure whether Clinton would be on campus between the two events. The candidate’s complete event schedule had not been released as of press time.

The campaign contacted the University on Saturday night, and administrators worked with them throughout Sunday to finalize logistics. The University Police Department and the Office of Public Service and Emergency Management are coordinating with the Secret Service to ensure security on campus.

Clinton spoke at Jack Morton Auditorium this summer when she presented a speech about health care to a crowd featuring many GW medical students. She also spoke at an event with Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) and John Edwards at Lisner Auditorium in June.