Candidate Profile: Kyle Boyer for EVP

Footage from Boyer’s meeting with the Hatchet Editorial Board

Student Association Executive Vice Presidential candidate Kyle Boyer said his main goals are to unite GW’s campus and to connect the campus to D.C., if elected.

He said GW is D.C.’s premier university and needs to showcase its status.

“All we need are student leaders who understand our place in the city, and are willing to push the student body beyond the confines of Foggy Bottom,” he said in his campaign biography.

Boyer, a sophomore, is a member of SA President Nicole Capp’s cabinet where he served as assistant vice president of community affairs.

“I have the work ethic and credibility to get things done,” Boyer said. “It’s not only advocating and working, but its relating back to the student body and making sure they know what’s going on.”

The most important issue for Boyer is a reduced Metro fare for D.C. area students. He has actively advocated for the reduced fare over the past year and will continue to work on the initiative if elected, Boyer said.

“To me the city is our campus,” he said. “The Metro stop gives us access to all of D.C. and parts of both Maryland and Virginia. With the availability of public transportation, we have the entire Beltway at our disposal.”

In order to be a successful EVP, Boyer said a good relationship with the president is essential.

“The EVP needs to work with the president,” he said. “I think I have a good relationship with all presidential candidates.”

As with many of the other candidates running for the executive office, Boyer said he wants to continue on the path of Capp and current Executive Vice President Brand Kroeger’s administration.

“I will follow the model of Brand and Nicole this year,” Boyer said at the Hatchet-SA debate last week. “You need to be partner to the president and an effective manager to the senate. I promise that I will be an effective manager of the senate and work my best to help share visions and work on visions.”

Although Boyer is not an SA senator, he said that does not mean he is not qualified to be EVP.

“As far as my time spent in my SA I think I have spent all of it working and working hard,” Boyer said. “I tend to believe that instead of doing 50,000 things in a mediocre fashion, sticking to one thing and doing it well is probably the best way to go and I’m doing that.”