Clinton to deliver “major” speech at GW Monday

Breaking News

Sunday, Feb. 24, 6:06 p.m.

Presidential candidate Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-N.Y.) will deliver a “major” speech about foreign policy in Jack Morton Auditorium Monday, according to a campaign news release issued Sunday evening.

Clinton will be speaking about “strengthening America” at noon in the School of Media and Public Affairs venue. She is also scheduled to attend a fundraising event in Lisner Auditorium at 6:30 p.m.

Both events will be broadcast live on a variety of television networks.

University Spokesperson Tracy Schario said John “Skip” Williams, provost and vice president of Health Affairs, will deliver opening remarks in lieu of University President Steven Knapp – who is in Korea. Williams is the second-ranking member of the administration.

Knapp’s wife Diane will be part of a greeting committee who will meet the senator backstage when she arrives on campus.

Schario added that there is no indication that Clinton will be on campus the entire time between the two events. A spokesperson for the campaign said they were not yet sure of Clinton’s entire schedule for Monday.

The University has at least 50 seats, which have been made available to international affairs students and faculty in addition to the GW Students for Hillary chapter. There will also be a standby list.

The campaign contacted the University on Saturday night, and administrators have been working on logistics for 24 hours. The University Police Department and the Office of Public Service and Emergency Management are coordinating with the Secret Service to ensure security throughout the day.

Clinton spoke at Jack Morton Auditorium this summer when she presented a speech about health care to a crowd featuring many GW medical students. She also spoke at an event with Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) and John Edwards at Lisner Auditorium in June.