GW Brief: Financial Times and U.S. News give School of Business high ranks

GW’s School of Business graduate and undergraduate programs received high rankings from various national publications including the Financial Times and U.S. News and World Report.

Financial Times ranked the School of Business’ M.B.A. program No. 40 in the nation and No. 71 in the world. It also ranked GW’s international business programs fifth in the world.

U.S. News and World Report ranked the School of Business’ undergraduate program No. 41 in the country, a rank GW shares with Virginia Tech and Syracuse University. In 2007 the business school was ranked 42nd in this category and in 2006 it was ranked 47th.

“I think that there are a number of things (that have contributed to the rankings) . I think the fact that we have a lot of international programs and electives and the fact that we are in Washington, D.C, has led to the current rankings,” said Susan Phillips, dean of the School of Business. “We also have an international business department, which many business schools do not have.”

Phillips said that the increased global focus of the past few years has made the school’s international business department a valuable commodity.

“I think after 9/11, getting engaged in some international wars, and also the fact that business is becoming a lot more global, has increased everybody’s interest,” she said.

Phillips said the School of Business’ M.B.A. program is currently undergoing a series of fundamental changes. The program will soon require students to complete more international residencies to focus on how business actually operates globally.