Stephanopoulos reflects on politics, his personal life

Audience members filled Jack Morton Auditorium Tuesday night to see George Stephanopoulos speak candidly about his personal life, his storied career and his take on the 2008 presidential election.

SMPA professor and former CNN Washington bureau chief Frank Sesno interviewed Stephanopoulos, ABC News’ chief Washington correspondent and a former senior adviser to President Bill Clinton.

Stephanopoulos arrived at Jack Morton 20 minutes late because of his responsibilities to help ABC cover incoming results from Tuesday’s Potomac Primaries. The audience, comprised mostly of GW students, found the nature of the newsman’s lateness exciting.

When asked if he thought America was ready for a black or female president, Stephanopoulos said that “America is clearly ready for either one” but that he will not know for certain until November.

“There are as many people who will vote for Obama simply because he is black as people who will vote against him simply because he is black and that the same holds true for Hillary and the attraction or dissatisfaction voters have toward her gender,” Stephanopoulos said.

Sesno played several clips from interviews Stephanopoulos had done with politicians. Together, Sesno and Stephanopoulos analyzed the Stephanopoulos’ approach to interviews and specifically what thoughts were running through his mind during some of his most intense interviews.

Sesno played one clip of Stephanopoulos interviewing President George W. Bush about the qualities Bush believes the country’s next president should possess.

For a few moments, Bush looked perplexed by the question, but then he said “determination and compassion.”

Though these were one-word answers, Stephanopoulos explained to Sesno and the audience that any type of spontaneous response is an accomplishment.

“Any question that elicits (something) beyond a talking point response is a victory,” he said.

After playing excerpts of Stephanopoulos interviewing Bill and Hillary Clinton, Sesno asked what it felt like to “grill a former employer.” Stephanopoulos said he has interviewed the Clinton’s many times since leaving his position as communications director for former President Bill Clinton in 1997.

“It’s easy to be civil (in an interview) regardless of what’s gone on in the past,” Stephanopoulos said.

Based on his close relationship with the Clintons while they were in the White House, Stephanopoulos said Hillary is “much less intuitive” that Bill.

“She thinks more like a lawyer,” he said.

Sesno and Stephanopoulos also discussed ways the Internet “has changed everything about campaigns.” Stephanopoulos said the Internet has forced campaigns to be more transparent as has helped empower citizens to participate in politics. The Internet has even changed certain aspects of Stephanopoulos’ job as a television reporter.

“You don’t have to actually memorize anything (anymore) because a computer is always there,” he said.

Sesno wrapped up the interview by asking Stephanopoulos what advice he had for GW students. Stephanopoulos said that coming to D.C. has changed his life and allowed him to be surrounded by a community of people who care about the same things he cares about.

Stephanopoulos said, “If you find something that excites you, interests you, engages your curiosity, you’re going to be fine if you follow it.”