SA Note: SA presidential candidate’s name will not appear on ballot due to lack of signatures

Student Association Sen. OG Oyiborhoro will not get his name on the ballot for SA president and will now run a write-in campaign for the SA’s top job, he said late Wednesday night.

The Joint Elections Committee failed to approve his petition for SA president because Oyiborhoro failed to get enough signatures, according to the JEC. Oyiborhoro had only 400 signatures on official JEC petition forms with another 147 signatures on plain, white paper, according to a JEC complaint obtained by The Hatchet.

“After lengthy consideration, we felt that consistency in application of the rules would set a precedent for the remainder of the election process insuring a friendly, fair election,” wrote JEC Chair Ben Balter, in an e-mail.

Shortly after the JEC decision, Oyibrohoro told The Hatchet he will now run a write-in campaign for SA president.

“It is a testament of standing up to adversity and moving forward,” he said.

Oyiborhoro said former SA Sen. Chris Rotella, who filed the complaint, and SA Sen. Kevin Kozlowski (U-At Large), who is running for SA president, “represent the old establishment” that “quivers in the face of change.”

“I think it is time for change and something new,” he said.

Rotella said he is a graduating senior and is no longer a member of the SA. He added that the irregularities in the petition submitted by Oyiborhoro would eventually come to light.

“It is about the rules and being fair,” Rotella said. “His signatures aren’t valid.”

Kozlowski, a junior, said in a statement that he respects the JEC’s decision and will work for all students, if elected.

“The job of the JEC is to enforce all of the rules, and I have pledged to run a clean, transparent campaign that follows the rules,” he said. “As SA President, I will work to represent all students and advocate on their behalf.”

At the JEC meeting, the committee also voted to approve SA Executive Vice Presidential candidate Kyle Boyer’s petition after a complaint had been filed that he did not acquire enough signatures to run for office.