No. 14/13 GW women’s basketball stunned at St. Bonaventure

Web UpdateSaturday, Feb. 16 6:52 p.m.

OLEAN, N.Y., Feb. 16 — The No. 14/13 (AP, ESPN/USA Today) women’s basketball team trailed St. Bonaventure Saturday afternoon by 20 points at the half and by three with 30 seconds to go. Despite erasing the lead and leading by one with four minutes left, the Colonials could not complete the second-half resurgence, falling 63-60.

GW had the chance to send the game into overtime with control of the final shot. Senior Kim Beck, who missed the team’s win on Wednesday at Massachusetts because of illness, took a three-point heave that missed. Senior Sarah-Jo Lawrence, who finished with 20 points, had one last shot with seven-tenths seconds left to play but also could not find the net. A roar exploded from the 1,215 fans as the Bonnies exploded into jubilation on the floor.

“It took a lot to come back and take the lead,” GW head coach Joe McKeown said. “We did a great job defensively (in the second half). We just dug too deep a whole. There were some big plays that just didn’t go our way. You just have to give St. Bonaventure credit. They made plays when they had to. I give them a lot of credit.”

This is the first time in the past 27 tries that St. Bonaventure (17-9, 5-6 A-10) has defeated the Colonials. It was the program’s first win over a ranked opponent. While the Bonnies are usually a bottom-feeder in the A-10, they are a much-improved team this season and are in the middle of the pack of the conference.

GW is now in second place in the conference because Temple, which is also 8-2, holds the tiebreaker. The Colonials have four games left in the regular season, starting with Saint Louis Feb. 20 at Smith Center. The Bonnies also face the Billikens next, but coach Jim Crowley said he is going to be looking for a little bit of national attention before heading to St. Louis.

He said, “I’m going to be watching ESPN tonight.”