Styles for every scene: wearing your heart on your sleeve

Wardrobe selection is always a concern on a date night, but on Valentine’s Day the ante is upped to a whole new level. Whether you consider yourself a classy chica, a funky fellow or even a daring duo, The Hatchet has laid out some stylish options to keep you and your date looking hot on a cool February day – no matter where you go.

A pleasant picnic for the happy couple

For the girl: This season’s pink is not just a girly color anymore – it is all grown up and would be the perfect match with your afternoon affair. In sleek shapes and styles, pink can be worn this Valentine’s Day without disdain. For a picnic date, wear a pink top with dark washed jeans and a cute pair of flats to make a lasting impression. Don’t forget to get fun with the accessories – a cheerful straw bag, for example, can make the perfect picnic tote.

For the boy: This is your time to be casual, but sexy. A nice pair of medium wash jeans would go well with a polo shirt, topped with a light jacket that can keep you warm in case you – or your girl – get chilly. Since you are going to be spending the afternoon outside, protect your eyes with a pair of sleek but understated aviators. The F4011 sunglasses from Forever 21 are only $5.80, but make a bold statement.

A swanky evening for a budding love

For the lady: How sweet. Your newfound man has asked you out for dinner to charm you over on this Valentine’s Day. For a nighttime look, you want to be daring, but make sure you don’t give the wrong impression. One safe bet is a simple black dress, especially the Isaac Mizrahi scoop neck sweater dress from Target, $34. Put this number on and you won’t be easy to forget.

To rock the sexy look from head to toe, match your dress with a pair of patent leather boots to really make your legs pop. If the boots are too scandalous, try resorting to the classic pump to tone down your look.

For the gentleman: Like your mother always told you – dress to impress. You are probably on the brink of winning her over, so you want to make sure your outfit is a winner. Nice slacks and a collared shirt is the ideal dinner ensemble for every guy of any shape or size. Be sure to wear a classy sweater or jacket and she’ll be yours in no time.

A night out for the cultivated couple

For the girlfriend: At this point there is no need to impress, but your boyfriend wants to doll you up at a fancy restaurant, and a classic dinner date with your longtime lover deserves a special look.

This season, think bright colors – try pairing a bright royal blue or yellow blouse with a classic pair of black pants to make the perfect statement. For subdued sexiness, add a strappy sandal to show a hint of toe. The accessories for this look could be a simple clutch, and black is always a safe bet. Check out Forever 21’s patent hinge wallet – that can double as a clutch – for $10.80 and heads will turn.

For the boyfriend: Taking your long time love out to dinner is an elegant move, so don’t blow it with a wimpy wardrobe. Pair black pants with a nice dress shirt, like the Mossimo washed oxford shirt in pink from Target, $19.99.

Alternative selections for a date off the beaten path:

For the chicks: If the color pink makes you want to hurl, then embrace your instincts and avoid the feminine fa?ade – even on Valentine’s Day. Black jeans, converse sneakers, an ethnic scarf and your favorite vintage tee make the perfect “anti-Valentine’s Day” look. Who would ever know it was the day of Cupid? And at night, pair your sultry look with smoky eyes and chunky bangles.

For the macho man: Just because you are not into the mushiness of Valentine’s Day, does not mean you cannot dress to impress on your date night. A fitted pair of jeans with a simple black T-shirt will make a mysterious statement.