Romancing your Valentine

Dependability may be a good quality to have as a boyfriend – but not when it comes to giving your girl the same Valentine’s Day present year after year.

“I need creativity,” freshman Brianna Kilcullen said, adding that her perfect Valentine’s Day gift would not be covered in pink lace. Kilcullen said she would prefer to spend the day with her date eating pizza and watching a basketball game.

But Kilcullen is not the only one looking for her man to think outside of the gift box on Valentine’s Day. Other girls on campus agreed that it is going to take more than chocolates and roses to be swept from their feet.

Freshman Jenna Curtis said she always wants to be surprised. “It shows that he really knows you.(when) he can get you what you want without (you) asking for it.”

A big wallet is not always the ticket to the perfect gift, and sometimes, the best gifts are the ones that come from the heart – literally.

Freshman Elaine Chiang said her favorite Valentine’s Day gift was when her boyfriend gave her an origami heart, along with a sentimental song. Chiang said the key to giving your girl the best kind of gift is making it, “something personal.”

Junior Johanna Leonidas also said she would prefer her guy to flex his imagination rather than stretch the seams on his purse strings. “I would want something creative,” she said, “like a late night walk to the park, or around the monuments – since we’re in D.C. – and dinner.”

Sophomore Abby Whalen said she will be manning up for her girlfriends on this love festival and wants to give them something even more timeless than her friendship. Whalen said she plans to give her girlfriends a drawing of flowers because it will last longer than real ones.

Some girls though, are still hoping that their men will follow through with a Valentine’s Day gift – even if it is a boring one.

Sophomore Sassi Riar said, “I’d be satisfied with flowers and chocolate.”