Notebook: GW still in running for Witherspoon

Junior Wynton Witherspoon’s younger brother, Wesley, was in attendance at Saturday night’s 57-54 win over Dayton. The high school senior said he has not made a decision where he wants to play next year but that GW is still on his list.

Witherspoon, who was also at the Colonials’ 93-57 loss at the University of Alabama in late December, said he looks most at how he would fit into the team and that, during the Dayton game, he liked what he saw.

Before the contest, Wesley took some practice shots while wearing a yellow tri-cornered hat. He also entertained some fans and went up into the bleachers to chat with a few.

Wynton hit the winning shot over the Flyers, a three-pointer with 1.9 seconds remaining, and, after being mobbed by his team, he broke away and chest-pumped and celebrated with Wesley.

Jarvis said he would return to GW

Former GW men’s basketball coach Mike Jarvis was inducted into the GW athletics Hall of Fame Saturday. Jarvis was the coach of the Colonials from 1990 to 1998 and led the team to three NCAA tournaments, including a Sweet 16 appearance in 1993. He also coached current head coach Karl Hobbs, as well as Patrick Ewing, when the two were in high school in Massachusetts.

After the ceremony, Jarvis said he would think about returning to Foggy Bottom if the circumstances were correct.

“I think Karl Hobbs is a fantastic coach and I hope that he’s here for a long time. But, if Hobbs ever left, coming back would have to be something to consider,” Jarvis said.

He also added that GW is the only school of the three where he coached (he began his career at Boston University and left GW for St. John’s University) that he would return to.

“I have no regrets,” Jarvis said, “but I do miss the place.”

Director of Athletics Jack Kvancz said he considers Jarvis a friend and a great coach, but that he is not looking to replace Hobbs anytime soon.

“I love Mike Jarvis,” Kvancz said, “but I’ve got a coach!”

Diggs makes top play on SportsCenter

Junior Rob Diggs had a noteworthy night for the Colonials, scoring 29 points and throwing down a few impressive dunks. What sent Smith Center into the biggest tizzy was an alley-oop that senior Maureece Rice had floated off the scoreboard before Diggs came flying in for the slam.

“During the alley-oop, I was thinking I’m going to dunk this thing pretty hard,” Diggs said with a big smile and a look like he still couldn’t believe that the play had happened. “After, I was thinking, Reece really threw that thing against the backboard.”

The dunk was the top play on the 10 p.m. SportsCenter, with the final shot a slow-motion zoom on Diggs snarling and banging his chest. The crowd of 3,154 was heavily speckled with Dayton fans who made themselves heard throughout the game. But after that dunk, they were silent.

-Dan Greene contributed to this report.