Calendar: V-day events

Safe Sex Mixer
Feb. 12
8 p.m. – 10 p.m.
Marvin Center 413
Voices for Choices

Candy Sale
Feb. 13
10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Columbian Square
Alpha Phi Sorority

St. Valentine’s Day
Massacre at McFaddens
Feb. 14
8 p.m. – 12 a.m.
McFadden’s

Valentine’s Movie Night
Feb. 18
7 p.m. – 9 p.m.
Marvin Center 414
GW Republican Movie

At GW, Valentine’s Day has evolved into Valentine’s Week, and students have their pick of ways to celebrate with both on- and off-campus options.

Numerous student organizations and local businesses plan to host Valentine’s Day-inspired events, but they don’t necessarily take place on Feb. 14.

Voices for Choices – GW’s pro-choice advocacy student group – will host a Valentine’s Day mixer promoting safe sex on Tuesday night at Marvin Center.

“We’re encouraging students to bring someone they’re not romantically attracted to,” said Aviva Berman, a member of Voices for Choices. Organizers hope that participants will be able to make some new romantic connections while learning how to protect themselves and their partners.

Berman said she is pleased with the number of RSVPs Voices for Choices has received for the mixer, which will include music and cupcake decorating in addition to safe sex information.

Two other student groups sponsoring Valentine’s Day activities are the GW Class Council and the GW Republican Women. Class Council is sponsoring a “Date Match,” where students were invited to fill out surveys on Jan. 31 and will return on Wednesday to meet their prospective matches based on their survey answers.

The GW Republican Women have been selling carnations in the two weeks leading up to Feb. 14 that they plan to hand-deliver to recipients by male students dressed in suits. On the Facebook page promoting the event, they push the idea of putting the romance back into Valentine’s Day, one flower at a time. The page reads, “The radical feminists want Valentine’s Day to be all about vaginas and have renamed it “V-Day”. Let’s show them that they’re wrong and it’s still about the LOVE!”

This student organization will also host a romance-themed movie night on the Monday following Valentine’s Day.

For the over-21 crowd, McFadden’s Saloon, located just off campus on Pennsylvania Avenue, will host its first ever Valentine’s Day party on Thursday night. The themed “St. Valentine’s Day Massacre” is far from the typical chalky pastel hearts celebration, with party-goers encouraged to dress in 20’s era clothing, including flapper dresses and pinstriped suits reminiscent of the Chicago gangster shoot-out.

“Every bar in the city does something romantic, so we thought we’d try something a little different,” a McFadden’s host said. “This is the first year we’re doing it, and hoping to do it again next year.”

“(The theme) was something random we came up with . it’ll be a hit-or-miss,” he said.

The Panhellenic community is also contributing to the Valentine’s Day festivities. The Alpha Epsilon Phi sorority plans to sell candy in Columbian Square on Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Alpha Phi will be having its “Heart Week” beginning Feb. 24 with several philanthropic events spaced throughout the week including a basketball tournament, barbeque and the “Dating Game.” The proceeds will go towards helping fight women’s health.