Letters to the Editor

Criticism requires attendance

Reading the critical letters to the editor regarding Ann Coulter’s appearance at GW this Saturday makes me wonder if these students have ever bothered to actually listen to a conservative speaker. Instead, these leftists try to repress the conservative voice on campus because they are afraid of having a real debate that they will inevitably lose.

If you look back at Erica Evan’s letter “Defense of Coulter Flawed” (Feb. 4, p. 4) this becomes very apparent. She says that Coulter’s arguments are “not based on any sort of academic or scientific fact” which quite simply is not true. Even if you do not agree with Coulter’s arguments, it is hard to say that issues such as illegal immigration and extremism are not based on facts. Yet somehow our wise peers at GW have found a way to do just that.

For leftists who claim they support the first amendment and intellectual debate, it is extremely hypocritical for them to attempt to cancel or disrupt a speech, such as the College Democrats are trying to do. Even though I appreciate all of the free advertising these students are providing GW Young America’s Foundation by acting like the typical leftist on campus, I think it would be more beneficial for them to attend the event and see what Coulter has to say. Who knows, maybe they’ll actually learn something.

Still don’t believe it’s worth coming to the event and hearing what Coulter has to say? Try talking to one of the 200-plus students that attended David Horowitz’s speech on Islamo-Fascism and partook in an intellectual discussion about terrorism. Students such as Evans, who seem to think extremism is a “non-existent issue,” are welcome to come learn that their ridiculous claims are false.

Whether it is Ann Coulter or David Horowitz, there will always be opposition to hosting conservative speakers at GW. Instead of fighting to prevent free speech, they should embrace this challenge to their beliefs and join us for an intellectual discussion. If Coulter’s arguments are as ridiculous and flawed as leftists say, then why do they work so hard to prevent people from listening to her? I would encourage other students to go listen to what she has to say instead of automatically buying into the leftist ideas entrenched in higher education.

Iris Somberg, GW Young America’s Foundation vice president

Rewarding hard work in Honors

In response to Ms. Hocraffer’s op-ed (Feb. 4, p. 4), the University Honors Program would like to clarify that we do not punish or reward any student for their choice of major. No student is required to write two honors theses. Students in the Honors Program are expected to complete an honors senior thesis or seminar and the pursuit of honors in the major is one way to fulfill that expectation. Each department determines its own standards for special honors and we would not presume to question the judgment of a department by re-evaluating a thesis already determined not to merit honors.

All participating students voluntarily choose the challenges and standards of the Honors Program. Any student who feels a thesis is “busywork” may simply opt out of the program without repercussions. Students who fulfill all the expectations earn a notation on their transcript and special recognition at Commencement, but there is no punishment for a student who voluntarily leaves the program. The Honors Program, indeed the academic life of this University, is not based on standardization of requirements but on standards of achievement.

Catherine Chandler, Academic Advisor, University Honors Program

Skimming over Coach Joe’s 500

GW students were met with a depressing blow this past weekend. Not only has our men’s basketball team been dealt their sixth straight loss, but such news was plastered on The Hatchet’s front page. While coach Karl Hobbs’ gloomy face greeted The Hatchet’s many readers, the incredible news of Coach Joe McKeown’s 500th win was buried within its many pages.

ESPN has dutifully recognized this amazing accomplishment by reporting McKeown on its front page of women’s basketball news on its website. As The Hatchet seeks to accurately represent the success of GW’s students, staff and faculty, this newspaper should prioritize accomplishments, not failures. The last time the men’s team was even mentioned on ESPN was their win over Saint Louis for record-setting low score. Seeing that the women’s team has received national recognition and coverage, we would expect this type of positive recognition as front-page news. We ask that The Hatchet report on our women’s basketball team and the many achievements that we hope to see from the players and their coach in the remaining NCAA season.

Coach Joe deserves better.

Lauren Empson and Lyle Leitelt, Seniors