Board of Trustees should promote affordability

As the Board of Trustees’ first meeting of 2008 approaches, several lingering issues remain at hand. This page hopes that this meeting gives University President Steven Knapp a chance to illustrate how his ideas will move from proposals into reality.

The Board must confirm the student fee increase as voted on by about 3,000 students earlier this week. As this page has said many times in the past, this proposal is vital to sustaining and promoting student life. This election, 60 percent of the voters agreed. Now it’s time for the Board to match student support on the issue.

In addition, GW students, alumni and prospective students are eagerly anticipating Knapp’s tuition affordability proposal. In a year marked by changes in leadership and goals, a move toward more affordability seems to be the natural next step. The University must seize this opportunity to change the world’s perception of GW – an image predominately shaped by its price tag.

While GW does currently offer significant aid to students, it is most often in the form of loans. It is crucial that the Board work with Knapp’s proposal to increase grants and scholarships available to students. As an institution, GW deserves a reputation that is shaped more by its academics than its costs.

Finally, this is a prime place for Knapp to demonstrate his leadership. Knapp has been devoted to learning about the complex inner workings of GW and listened to groups from around campus and task forces sharing their concerns for the future. By quietly immersing himself in GW’s issues, we have faith that he has the practical knowledge necessary to provide a legitimate perspective in changing the way business is done in Foggy Bottom. Now we’re ready to hear Knapp’s own voice and to examine his solutions to the issues at hand.