University acquires three townhouses

The University acquired the former Sigma Chi fraternity house at 20th and G streets this December, and is also in the process of renovating two townhouses on F Street.

Several days after winter break began, the University bought the house formerly occupied by Sigma Chi for $1.8 million, according to D.C. land assessment records. Sigma Chi brothers lived in the house until they were kicked off campus in 2000 because of alleged misconduct.

Executive Vice President and Treasurer Lou Katz said they currently have no plans for the property, and are still determining what renovations will be necessary.

This summer the University also bought two townhouses adjacent to the School Without Walls residence hall on 22nd and G streets. This year’s capital budget allocates $1.7 million for renovations to the two locations.

Katz said they are planning on turning one of them into student housing, and are still deciding about the other space’s use. He added that the bulk of their renovations this fall have been to clean up the exterior of the buildings.

In October, the city issued the University a $12,000 permit to perform excavations in front of one of the buildings.

“At this time, we are assessing best uses for each of these properties and do not have specifics to provide,” spokesperson Adela de la Torre wrote in an e-mail.