Staff Editorial: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

The Hatchet’s monthly wrap-up of GW’s ups and downs.

Thumbs Down: Early applicants down

Both early decision I and II applicant pools are down, reinforcing the complications that stem from GW being the priciest school in the nation. While other schools’ early decision numbers are holding steady, administrators must devise a plan to make GW more affordable in this questionable economic period – or risk losing more dedicated students in the future.

Unsure: Knapp’s town hall

After upholding his promise to be a listening president, it is time for University President Steven Knapp to do some talking with students. As evidenced after this month’s town hall meeting, students want to have a conversation with Knapp versus at him.

Thumbs Up: SA Co-sponsorship fund

The Student Association has the largest second semester funding available for co-sponsorships in school history at about $110,000. Sufficient funding for student organizations, who are always clamoring for more money, is a top priority that must be addressed through further success like this.

Thumbs Down: University plans for old Tower Records space

Transparency and student input continue to be a problem in University development, even under the new administration. The possibility of a CVS, of which there are already four in a three-block radius around campus, is hardly appeasing to student desires.

Thumbs Up: Dorm size re-evaluation

Kudos to housing for realizing that they cannot keep selling ridiculously small living areas at equally ridiculous costs. By reducing capacity in City Hall and Fulbright, the University is making on-campus housing more attractive and encouraging students to stay in dorms a little longer.

Thumbs Up: Tonic’s liquor license finally happens

After a long battle with the District’s Alcohol Beverage Control board, Tonic is finally licensed to liquor up GW students until as late as 2 a.m. And congratulations to students who have effectively managed to avoid linking Tonic with any alcohol violations this month, proving that liquor does not have to mean rambunctious college students and angry neighbors.

Thumbs Up: On-campus technology improvements

The plan for wireless Internet expansion and increased e-mail quotas indicate that technology at GW could finally be brought into the 21st century. With widespread Internet access all over Foggy Bottom, BlackBerrys might just go out of style.

Thumbs Up: Manufacturing GW diplomas

A pair in Washington state are on trial for allegedly making counterfeit GW diplomas for sale. At least someone values a GW education.