Letters to the Editor

Coulter’s visit another source of division

In the past semester, the GW Young America’s Foundation has upset students by choosing to distribute political propaganda during a 9/11 memorial service and by inflaming racial and religious tensions on campus during its “Islamo-Fascism Awareness Week.”

It is disappointing that this organization would seek to further entrench its legacy at GW as an organization of far-right extremist hacks, rather than as one of upstanding leaders, by inviting an incendiary pundit like Ann Coulter, rather than a positive conservative influence to speak to its members. Because Coulter’s words are rarely constructive to the American democracy, and because her rhetoric only further divides our country, GW College Democrats objects to her presence here.

We do not wish to suppress the freedom of speech, but we do believe that YAF’s choice to facilitate Coulter’s exercise of that freedom to be in poor taste because it will only focus more attention on a voice that is so rarely beneficial to the goal of rallying our country around common causes. At the same time, we implore all GW students to exercise their own freedom of speech by protesting Coulter on the day of her visit.

We call on all students and organizations, as well as faculty and administrators, to stand up for the progressive beliefs that are so near to the heart of The George Washington University community, and to join us in our opposition to Coulter’s beliefs, ideology and most of all – her shameful rhetoric.

The GW College Democrats Executive Board

More excitement for the front page

I am disappointed The Hatchet tucked the gem of a story about a Student Association senator allegedly striking another person on the head with a beer bottle on p. 3 while leading with a GW men’s basketball loss.

You might as well have reported that the sun rose today. Please be more discerning when you have such entertaining material available for your front page.

Patrick Burgwinkle, Junior