As Super Bowl nears, lines are drawn

Web Extra

The cultural impact of the Super Bowl in America is undeniable. But at GW, this year’s NFL championship has special meaning.

Students from New England and the greater New York area make up about half of the school’s population. With the undefeated New England Patriots taking on the New York Giants, lines are going to be drawn deep in Foggy Bottom. And in the madness, some will just follow along.

Having just moved to the United States from Siberia, Russia, freshman Anastasia Komova will be watching the Super Bowl for the first time this coming Sunday.

“People in Russia don’t really watch (North American) football, I actually grew up watching (soccer),” Komova said. “But I’ve been here for a year so I’m starting to get in to (football)… A lot of my friends watch the game just for the commercials.I’m more interested in watching Tom Brady than the game. I mean he’s attractive, rich and he wins!”

Still, others are eagerly awaiting the pulp of the event, the clash of two of America’s most popular teams: Eli Manning’s exceptionally underdog New York Giants and Tom Brady’s flawless New England Patriots. For GW’s Greek life, Super Sunday is perhaps the biggest party of the year.

Senior Seth Weinstein, a member of Alpha Epsilon Pi, a Chicago native, fancies himself a die-hard Giants fan. “I’m really excited. (We’re) having a celebration at the fraternity house with wings, our surround sound system and our new 35-inch HDTV,” Weinstein said. “We have a lot of big Giants fans. I estimate between one third and half of us are (serious) New York fans. There have been a lot of email arguments all season between brothers about the New York-Boston rivalry.”

“My sorority (Kappa Kappa Gamma) is moving its chapter meeting so that we can all watch the game because so many of our sisters are from New England and New York, ” said sophomore Rachel Roth, who comes from a family of Patriots fans. “I got in an argument with my roommate, who is a serious Giants fan. I haven’t spoken to her in a week. (And) I actually got an email from one of our sisters who is abroad in Barcelona. She was desperately trying to find a place to watch the game on Sunday.”

Even those that are not interested in the Patriots’ attempt to continue editing the 2008 football almanac can find entertainment on Sunday.

No matter what one’s plans are, GW students appear set to enjoy several staples of college culture – junk food, HDTV and this country’s favorite sporting contest ?- featuring a team that can literally achieve perfection Sunday.