Adam Beck: The case for Obama

Not just as activists for Sen. Barack Obama, but as students and young Americans, we must fundamentally disagree both with your decision and rationale. We have a once in a lifetime opportunity in this election – to truly alter the course of history in profoundly positive way. That chance has not come around for the past couple generations, as was emphasized here in Washington Jan. 28 by Sen. Edward Kennedy and Caroline Kennedy – the daughter of the late President John F. Kennedy – who made it clear that, just as her father did 48 years ago, we have the opportunity to inspire Americans – and people all across the world – of all ages, races, religions, sexual orientations and political beliefs to once again belief in the amazing promise of America. We have that opportunity in electing Sen. Barack Obama and no other candidate.

It is discouraging that The Hatchet did not reach out to student groups on campus before considering their endorsements of Sens. Clinton and McCain. The GW Students for Barack Obama executive board was never contacted by The Hatchet’s editors to explain not only why we, as GW students support Obama, but why students all across the nation, as we have seen in the high youth turnout rates, have rallied behind the new type of politics Sen. Obama dares to practice. Thus, we present that case here.

The Hatchet should have the obligation to represent the voice of the GW community in its endorsement, a voice that overwhelmingly supports Barack Obama as the Democratic nominee for president. In fact, The Hatchet has repeatedly reported on students marching towards change, whether participating in rallies downtown, traveling to early states like Iowa and South Carolina, or making phone calls from a dorm room in support of the Illinois senator.

The reason Colonials are motivated to execute all of these activities is not only because of Obama’s “political savvy, idealism and personality.” His politics of optimism are not an empty vessel as The Hatchet leads its readers to believe. His ability to inspire is backed up by policies students should appreciate. Sen. Obama has some of the most far-reaching, student-centric policies. His first bill in Congress focused on issues of college affordability and scholarship. He has proposed a plan where college students can receive stipends for giving back to the United States, taking John F. Kennedy’s dreams further by rewarding students who join organizations such as the Peace Corps or Teach for America.

The mess that the baby boomers have left our generation may take more than eight years to solve, but simply replacing one baby boomer, and Washington insider with another of a different party will not necessarily change anything. The politics of the 1990s, of division, are not respected by Generation Y, a generation recognized for its unity and commitment to giving back to others. The politics of the 1980s, and the single-faced desire to make money without regard for the environment or anyone else, has long been eclipsed. Now, with Obama we must make room for a new type of politics, one where red states and blue states merge to become the United States, where capitalistic entrepreneurs find ways to help his American brother on the other coast, on the inner city streets and on the small family farm. Sen. Barack Obama, with his youth and fresh face, offers our generation a leader that will take us past the usual bickering.

With crises of healthcare, global warming and the deficit looming, the refreshing choice Sen. Obama offers us cannot, and indeed has not been ignored by students. While Sen. Obama may not have The Hatchet’s endorsement, we are confident that he has the support of the majority of your readers, and we encourage them to vote in their respective primaries.

The writer, a junior majoring in political science, is the communications director for GW Students for Barack Obama.