CVS may occupy vacant space in Shops at 2000 Penn

CVS pharmacy is in talks with the University to occupy the former Tower Records space at 2000 Pennsylvania Avenue.

The location at 21st and H streets has been empty since Tower Records, which rented the space since 1984, left last spring.

University spokesperson Tracy Schario said other companies are interested in the space, but she would not release how many or any of the company names.

“CVS is one of the folks interested, but I can not tell you much more than that,” Schario said.

When seeking tenants, Schario said the University looks for how well the business will best serve the neighborhood and student needs.

“Will we actively seek input from the student body? No. Are there mechanisms for student input? Yes.” Schario said. Students can approach the Student Association dining services committee and a member of University President Steven Knapp’s office.

SA President Nicole Capp said she asked the administration this fall to consider replacing the venue with Barnes and Noble, but was told there would not be enough space.

She said CVS is “obviously at the top of the list” of companies being considered for the location. “I’ve been asking about it, but to my knowledge there has been a lot of back and forth with legalities working with their corporate office,” she said.

There are currently four CVS locations in a three-block radius of campus. One on 21st and E streets recently became a 24-hour venue.

“It would not be quite the CVS that you would be accustomed to,” Capp said of the Tower Records space. “To my understanding, it was referenced that the infrastructure of the CVS would be more expansive than those that might exist in D.C.”

For more on this, please click here to see the blog post.